Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) is closely monitoring the developing weather conditions and is prepared to activate its storm response and Incident Command System plans.
In the event outages occur due to severe weather, customers without power are encouraged to report their outage by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), clicking the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com, or by texting out to 544487.
Customers should immediately report downed wires to 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or call their local police department. JCP&L reminds customers to stay away from downed wires, even if they believe they are no longer carrying electricity. Extra caution should be used in areas where downed lines are tangled with trees or other debris. Motorists are cautioned to treat intersections with inoperable traffic signals as four-way stops.
JCP&L customers can subscribe to email and text message alert notifications to receive weather updates in advance of major storms and updates on scheduled or extended power outages. Visit www.firstenergycorp.com/connect to enroll.
PSE&G and Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) urge its customers to always be cautious if they see downed lines. Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything that it might be in contact with.
Customers should report downed wires or power outages immediately to Robbinsville Police and/or the utility companies.
JCP&L EMERGENCY NUMBERS:
1-888-LIGHTSS / 1-888-544-4877
PSE&G EMERGENCY NUMBER:
Other storm preparation tips:
- Charge your cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Consider investing in a external cell phone charger
- Fill your car’s fuel tank
- Ensure you have a battery-powered radio and a supply of fresh batteries
- Check your supply of flashlights, blankets, nonperishable food and bottled water
- Put your refrigerator and freezer at the coldest setting. Keep a blanket handy to throw over these appliances for added insulation. If electricity is interrupted, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible
- Check on the elderly and pets
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G’s Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG. Call this number to report power outages or downed wires.