IMPORTANT MESSAGE RE: SNOW & ICE REMOVAL FROM PRIVATE PROPERTY & BUSINESSES
OTHER TOWNSHIP ORDINANCES
Residents (property owners and/or renting tenants) must shovel and make their sidewalks clear of snow & ice within 12 hours of a winter event. Failure to do so is in violation of Township Ordinance § 225-19.
Addresses which do not comply can be reported to our Code Enforcement Department at 609-259-3600 Ext. 112. Code Enforcement delivered 41 notices to residences in violation January 8 and another handful went out the following day.
The Ordinance reads as follows:
[Amended 3-9-2015 by Ord. No. 2015-5]
A. Duty to remove.
(1) General. The owner, occupant or tenant of lands, whether residential, commercial, industrial or otherwise, which abut or border on any street, avenue or highway of the Township, the sidewalks of which have been installed, shall remove all snow and ice from the sidewalks adjoining the properties within 12 daylight hours after the snow or ice shall fall or be formed, and in the event of ice which may be so frozen as to make removal impracticable, shall cause the same to be thoroughly covered with sand or abrasive material within 12 hours of daylight after it falls or is formed.
(2) Multifamily housing. The owners of properties commonly known as "apartment projects," "garden apartments," "townhouses" or "retirement village type projects," or any similar multifamily housing complex, shall, in addition to meeting the requirements of Subsection A(1) of this section, within 12 daylight hours after the snow or ice shall fall or be formed, cause all snow and ice to be removed from the common sidewalks, passageways, driveways and private streets of such projects or properties to an ample degree so as to provide for the health and welfare of the residents thereof, and to provide for unobstructed ingress and egress of their vehicles as well as fire, police, ambulance and other emergency vehicles, and, in addition, shall remove all snow and ice and clear an area to provide ample off-street parking for the persons residing therein. In the event of ice which may be so frozen as to make removal impracticable, the owners shall cause the same to be thoroughly covered with sand or abrasive material within 12 hours of daylight after it falls or is formed.
(3) Commercial. The owner, occupant or tenant of premises used by the public or business invitees shall remove all snow and ice from the sidewalks, streets and parking areas used by the public or invitees in the transaction of business within 12 daylight hours after the snow or ice shall fall or be formed or, in the event of ice which may be so frozen as to make removal impracticable, shall cause the same to be thoroughly covered with sand or abrasive material within 12 hours of daylight after it falls or is formed.
B. Casting of snow or ice. No owner, tenant or occupant of any premises abutting on any street shall throw, place or deposit any snow or ice into or on any street or sidewalk in the Township. The purpose of this provision is to prohibit any person from throwing, casting, placing or depositing snow and ice which accumulates on the private property belonging to that person onto the sidewalks or streets of the Township of Robbinsville.
C. Township authority to remove. In case any snow or ice shall not be removed from such sidewalks or shall be cast or deposited thereon or placed upon the sidewalks or the street by the owner, tenant or occupant of any premises as hereinabove provided, the same shall be removed forthwith and under the direction of the Director of Public Works, and the cost of removal as nearly as can be ascertained shall be certified by the Director of Public Works to the Director of Finance. The Council shall examine such certification and, if found to be correct, shall cause the cost to be charged against the real estate abutting or bordering upon such sidewalks, and the amount so charged shall forthwith become a lien and a tax upon the real estate or land and be added to, recorded and collected in the same way and manner as the taxes next to be levied and assessed upon the premises, and shall bear interest and be enforced and collected by the same officers and in the same manner as other taxes. The imposition and collection of a fine or fines or any other penalty for violation of any of the provisions of this section shall not constitute any bar to the right of the Township of Robbinsville to collect the cost, as certified, for the removal of snow or ice in the manner herein authorized.
D. Violations and penalties. In the event of a violation of § 225-19, the penalty provisions stated herein shall apply in lieu of those stated in § 225-20.
(1) Any person or entity that fails, refuses or neglects to comply with the requirements of § 225-19A(1) or (2) shall be fined $50 for such violation, and the additional sum of $50 for each day such violation continues.
(2) Any person or entity that fails, refuses or neglects to comply with the requirements of § 225-19A(3) shall be fined $100 for such violation, and the additional sum of $100 for each day such violation continues.